I'm happy to say I am a professional couples guide, a wife, a mother and a grandmother. Peter my engineer husband and I have been married for 45 + years and have managed to navigate our way through some rough seas thanks to the skills we have learnt. We are blessed indeed to have 3 daughters and 7 grandchildren.
I also love gardening, tennis, golf, walking in the country, reading, sewing and spending time with family and friends.
I have a private practice in the Cotswolds and have specialised in working with coupes for more than 20 years.
SOURCES OF INSPIRATION
- The 'living laboratory' of our marriage is where Peter and I searched to understand the complex issues in our relationship. Thank goodness for the communication or 'island visits' skills which have helped us make sense of the tough patches and move forward.
- My professional journey as a social worker and psychotherapist opened opportunities to study relationships in depth.
- Encounter Centred Couples Therapy developed by Hedy Scheiffler and her husband has taught me about creating conscious connected relationships. I've learnt about celebrating what we have and appreciating it.
- Imago Couples Therapy, developed by Harville Hendricks, taught me important relationship theory and has been a road map for my work through the years.
- Relational Neurobiology explained by Dan Segal helped me understand the 'plasticity' of our brains and the role that it plays in creating and maintaining our healthy relationships.
-Appreciative Enquiry taught me to focus on strengths and resources and successes and to develop big visions for our futures.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Individual, couple and family counselling at Family Life Centre, Johannesburg.
- Community development Social Worker working privately for Anglo Alpha where I assisted a squatter community to develop a pre school, primary school, high school and a clinic.
- I've had private practices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and the UK.
- Investec Bank's Employee Assistance Programme provider in Cape Town for 6 years.